Monday, July 8, 2013

Tomato Soup My Way


My boys often ask me what my favorite foods are. It is a silly game that really makes me think about the loves of my life. Well, the food loves of my life! I have come to the conclusion that heirloom tomatoes are a food love of mine! They are so sweet, and they seem to be the only tomato in the store that actually smells like a tomato should! With that said, my favorite way to eat tomatoes is in a thin soup.


First I quarter my tomatoes and put them on a jellyroll pan. I sprinkle salt and pepper over with a drizzle of olive oil. Into the oven they go at 400 degrees. I watch for them as they roast to get soft. It takes 30 to 40 minutes to draw out the sweet juices. I take them out of the oven and remove the tough skins from them.


Into a heavy pot they go with the juices from the pan. I add a can of chicken broth, a onion sliced in half, a clove of garlic, a bunch of basil, and salt and pepper. I slowly simmer it with a lid on; mushing up the tomatoes. After about 30 minutes I discard the onions, basil and garlic from the soup. I then strain the soup through a strainer or a food mill. This soup is not chunky or really thick. Serve with a piece of buttered toast. Yummm!

No comments: