Thursday, July 4, 2013

4th of July Cherry Pie!


 Nothing says 4th of July like a homemade pie. This year I wanted to make a cherry pie. My boys were happy to help with the festivities which included using my nifty German cherry pitter. What boy would not love to slam a pit out of 2 pounds of cherries! We started though by taking the stems off the cherries (save the stems they can make a medicinal tea). Then we washed our cherries.


 Next came the fun part. Slamming the cherries through the pitter. Although not automatic, and not 100% fool proof (I always check them afterwards to find any stray pits) it works fast and really well!


 Within 30 minutes the cherries are done! Oh, make sure you put on some old clothes. Some cherry juice is known to squirt out onto you! The boys loved that bringing peels of laughter.


 You then take your 2 pounds of cherries and put them in a heavy pot. No aluminum please. sprinkle 1 1/4 cups of white sugar over the cherries with 12 teaspoons of cornstarch. Let the cherries sit for 10 minutes to draw out the cherry juices. Then give it a good stir.


Turn the stove on to get a rolling boil on the cherry mixture. Turn the heat down and let simmer for 1 or 2 minutes. Depending on your stove it may take longer. I have a gas grill with fire. A flat cook-top may take longer. The mixture should turn thick when you stick a spoon in. When that happens it is done cooking. Set the hot pot aside to cool down to lukewarm.


I used Trader Joe's frozen pie dough. I know many will say, "but it is so easy to make pie crust..." Well, I am here to tell you that after attending cooking school for a year, and working on pies only for three weeks, I could never master pie dough. Puff pastry? No problem. So frozen dough it was for me. After getting the dough and filling assembled, I gave the crust a little egg wash (egg yoke and 1 Tsp of water) Then I sprinkled the pie with a little sugar.


Preheat the oven to 375. In the oven place a parchment lined jellyroll pan. Let the pan heat up. When the oven is ready, take the pan out of the oven and place the pie on it. This will aid in not getting your oven dirty if there is a spill. Bake the pie for 45 - 55 minutes. Let the pie cool for several hours before cutting. And there is your 4th of July treat!

1 comment:

Cubby said...

Looks fantastic!