Saturday, August 25, 2012

The White House Garden and Bee Keepers Too!



 After being out of commission for several months I am back ready to blog! One of my favorite places in early Summer is Washington D.C. My husband grew up in the area, and we make frequent trips to visit family and see the sites. This trip brought an unexpected treat as we walked past the White House. I had heard there were White House Garden tours, but alas we could not get tickets. No matter though, while trying to catch a cab I spied the white house kitchen garden through the gate! I was so excited, and could not believe I could really see it with my eyes.....so close. And not only the garden, but the bee keepers were out!


What made this so exciting is that my husband had given me "A White House Garden Cookbook" for Christmas. Since then Michelle Obama has written her own book called "American Grown: The Story of the White House Kitchen Garden and Gardens Across America". Whew! Such a long name, but a great resource for the history of the garden. Mrs. Obama does not claim to be a gardener, but she had a vision of getting the country on board with helping children learn about fresh nutritious fruits and veggies. She has done such a great job at getting everyone aware of this need from being featured on The Food Network's Iron Chef to giving Jay Leno some White House Apples and honey after he said he hated fresh fruit! She even has the local school children come out and help in the garden. What a great thing for our kids! 



Our adventure was complete even though we were on the opposite side of the gate. We even got to see the security walking the First Dog, Bo. He liked the kitchen garden too!

No comments: