Saturday, August 25, 2012

Grandville Island Public Market


As many know, I love farmer's markets. This Summer I was able to visit the great city of Vancouver, B.C in Canada. What a beautiful place! One of my highlights was getting to go to the famous Grandville Island Public Market. We had a taxi drop us off early on a Saturday morning. There was everything from artisan cheeses, fresh fish, luscious berries, meats, breads, veggies. Anything you wanted was there!


I had not seen a deli like this since I had been in Europe! I had wished I was not staying in hotel, so I could take some goodies home. But if going around lunch time they will make you a sandwich!


The cherries were just being harvested. Look at those baskets!


I am a sucker for fresh carrots with stems still on. I like to roast them in olive oil for 30 minutes at 450 until sweet and brown. Mmmm


Look at those clear eyes on the fish. A sign of fresh fish. No cloudy eyes here. They should smell like the ocean too....not "fishy". You can pick up some flavored salt at a little store down from the market that sells all different flavors of salt. Just ask what will be grand with your fish! Perhaps some salt with Herbs de Provence?


Oh! did I mention they had the most beautiful flowers? I did not get any, however, because we had a long day of site seeing ahead of us. Sometimes, though I do pack a little vase while going on a trip so I might buy some local flowers.


No comments: