Sunday, January 29, 2012

Santa Kilim, A Santa Fe Treasure


 When I was a young girl, my father got a job in Iran. I was only eight years old, but the memories I had of living in such an exotic country still shape my life. One thing I developed at such an early age is the love for carpets. I remember in the Spring my father would bring tribesmen home with him, camels and all. As soon as we heard the camel bells outside the kitchen window, we knew my father had been looking at carpets, and that a turbaned, tassel tossed fellow would be following dad through the door; carpets in hand.

A ceramic pot from Morocco my husband and I bought from the store. It has a Hebrew prayer written on it

 There was always a purchase to be made, for my father could not resist the textures, colors, and patterns. He knew every tribe's detailed motif, how to count knots on the back of the carpet, and how to detect silk or wool. By the time I was ten, I could too. For my ninth birthday, my father bought me a Tabriz. I thought it was my magic carpet.


 This summer, as I was traveling with my husband we came across Santa Kilim, a Moroccan store in Santa Fe that carried a wide variety of carpets from the Middle East. There was furniture, pots, copper and more. Carpets were not what we were after, but large ceramic pots decorated with exotic motifs. We found just the thing! I can't wait until my next return to Santa Fe to see what treasures I will find and bring home!



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about clocks - do you collect them too? Sybil

Tamsen Burk Reid said...

Lol Sybil! I don't collect clocks like my dad! But we ended up buying that beautiful Hebrew pot that I pictured in the post. It looks awesome!

Anonymous said...

That is awesome - do you know what it says? Sybil

Tamsen Burk Reid said...

Yes, the vase has the words of the Hatikvah or anthem of Israel. The text is a poem written by Naphtali Herz Imber in Zolochiv in 1878. The title is translated as "Our Hope". Thanks to my friend Shelley who paid attention in Hebrew classes while growing up! :)