Saturday, January 28, 2012

Pine Needles

A Utah gem of a quilting store
I must admit, I have a deep seeded secret problem. Well, it is really an obsession. Some people inherit their parents' eye or hair color. Perhaps they develop a love of music or the ability to play sports. I have acquired my mother's love of fabric. For as long as I can remember my mother would buy and admire fabric. Whether it was at the local TGY (the general store of the 70's.....long before Walmart), or at a fabric store my mother bought random pieces of cloth only to be brought home and secretly stashed away in her laundry room. The boxes of now vintage cloth still haunt her house! 


Now that I have grown and have a family of my own, I find myself on occasion buying remnants of material. I did not know how bad it was until I peeked into my own laundry room only to find two big buckets of material longing to be cut and used. Did I mention I love buttons too? And thread? And yarn? And.....unspun wool? That is a whole different story!


Having lived in Utah for 6 years, I found myself in quilting country! Quilt stores are a dime a dozen in Utah, and everyone seems to know the ins and outs of quilting. Pine Needles is one of my favorite stores to shop at. They have bolts of material that you can have specially cut, and then blocks of material that have been cut for you just waiting to be sewn together.


When I go to this store, I seem magically transported to a different era and time. It is easy to relax and let go; getting lost in the colors of the season.


Anyone can get their craft on at Pine Needles. There are countless examples of projects one could do, patterns to peruse, clubs to join, and classes to attend. Pine Needles is located in the Gardner Village in South Jordan, Ut. After you have filled your cup of joy (or bag of material) you can walk around the quaint cabins throughout the village. Perfection!


1 comment:

Troi Nelson said...

Sounds like a place I'll need to visit! Great pix.