Friday, February 18, 2011

The Art of Eggs

Eggs for the most part have gotten a bad reputation in the past 30 years. During the 1980's the health craze degraded the egg, inferring that it would put one at risk for heart disease by eating them. Thirty years later research has shown how untrue that is. In fact, eggs have many health benefits including large amounts of vitamin D, prevention of breast cancer, and brain stimulating amino acids. Although there are all of these great benefits to the consumption of eggs, I like them for just one reason! They are YUMMMMM!

I had always been a fan of eggs, but when I ventured off to Paris a few years back I found out the true meaning of what it meant to eat an egg. Here is a picture of my Croque Madame, a lovely grilled cheese made with brioche, gruyere cheese, and a fabulous egg resting on top. I still wonder today how on earth they cooked the whole egg and yet left the yolk in it's beautiful yellow, round, glistening state. Eating many of these as well as omelets, quiche, and a variety of other eggy dishes, I soon came to the conclusion that eggs should be cooked in BUTTER. Just as the French do it. It kind of takes away from all of the health benefits listed above, but butter and eggs must go together.

2 comments:

Put On The Day said...

Ok those egg dishes look soooooo good! Now I'm hungry again and its 9:26 pm...

Gotham Girls said...

Yum! Gotham Girls goin be cookin some eggs tomorrow!