Monday, December 20, 2010

Christmas Star Tree

One family tradition that I have done with my boys every year is to make a Christmas tree using different sized stars stacked on top of one another. This is so much easier than trying to make a gingerbread house, and you still get the benefit of wonderful smelling cookie in your home.

I bought a kit with all of the stars years ago when my oldest was first born. You could easily, however, take a star cookie cutter, trace it, and while using a copier, blow it up a few sizes and then minimize it a few sizes. After cutting out the stars, you can use them as templates, or patterns for the stars.

After cutting and cooking your cookies, merely stack the stars from biggest to smallest, gluing them with royal icing. Decorate as you go with any kind of sprinkle. Let it dry overnight, and you will have a wonderful center piece for your holiday table.

2 comments:

Kerin said...

This is adorable! I love all your holiday cookie posts. I've never had success with sugar cookies so thank you for the tips. It would be so fun to make/decorate cookies with everyone someday.

Tamsen Burk Reid said...

Thanks Kerin! It would be fun to have a big party. I all kinds of cookie cutters; baby shower, spring, animals, Hanukkah, and even a cutter made after Liam's hand print when he was a baby! :)