Friday, October 15, 2010

Hot Chocolate Time

One of my very favorite comfort foods is hot chocolate. The smell of rich chocolate filling the air brings back childhood memories of waking up in the early winter mornings and getting ready for school. I never thought of it then, but I realize now as an adult that my mother's routine hot chocolate with toast was far from the ordinary American breakfast.

I imagine that it became a family ritual when we lived in Holland and visited many of the neighboring countries. Perhaps it was because my parents did not drink coffee and this was their little a.m. vice. It was, nevertheless the replacement for the sugary cereals, pancakes or eggs that everyone else was eating.

My mother's recipe was simple and never measured. It was one of the first things that I learned how to make myself. It was always a blop of cocoa powder, a spoon of white sugar and whole milk poured ever so slowly while mixing it all into a thick syrup. Placing the syrup in the cocoa cups, my mother would pour the hot milk into each cup. Heavily buttered toast was served on the side where with we dunked into the steaming mixture.

Last year a friend sent me her Christmas Hot Chocolate recipe. It is not as simple as my mother's, but it makes large quantities of the delectable liquid treat.


Christmas Hot Chocolate

3 quarts boiling water
1 can (about 16 oz. serving size) Belgian Cocoa Mix
2 cans milk (I use one can sweetened condensed & one evaporated)
1 large Valrhona Chocolate Bar (grated).

Boil Water in a large stock pot
Heat milk in saucepan on stove (you can heat the two cans together)
Add cocoa mix to boiling water and still until there are no lumps
Add heated milks & grated chocolate bar to water & stir.

Serve it in a warm crock pot all day long for a special Christmas treat.


1 comment:

Kerin said...

Both versions sound delicious! I love the idea of giving the kids hot chocolate as a treat on a very cold school morning. And how fun to have hot chocolate available all afternoon for a family/friends gathering. Thanks for sharing!