Thursday, March 25, 2010

Orange Lavander Chicken

One of my favorite herbs is lavender. With it's pillow like soft flowers and the lace-like silver leaves it gives a sense of calm to my soul. I mean, what other herb has it's own color named after it? LAVENDER. It is even more than the way it looks though. The smell lends thoughts of a relaxing bath. It smells fresh right after the rain, and I love the earthy sweet taste when it is in Provencal dishes.
A yummy recipe that I make often uses chicken, orange juice and lavender. Herbs de Provence is the star of the show in this tasty meal. The french herb blend has sweet fennel, thyme and the purple french lavender flower buds. It is one of my favorites, and I hope you enjoy it too.
Orange Lavender Chicken
6-8 chicken thighs, skin removed
1 onion, sliced
1/2 can frozen orange juice
1/2 cup white wine
1 tsp herbs de Provence
Salt and pepper the chicken thighs. Place in a shallow buttered casserole dish. Place the onion over the top of the thighs. Mix the orange juice and the wine together. Pour over the chicken and onion. Sprinkle the herbs de Provence over the chicken, squeezing the herbs to release their natural oils. Cover with foil, and Bake in a 350 for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue to cook for another 15 or 20 minutes. Serve with rice.

No comments: