Friday, October 9, 2009

My Favorite China

Herend China. It has to be one of the most beautifully made china in the world. It is hand painted from Hungry. My mother bought a set when we lived in Europe back in the 60's. She chose the Rothchild bird pattern. When we moved back to the States she would add to it whenever she got a chance. It was (and still is) hard to locate. Neiman Marcus use to carry it in their stores, but you can only order it via catalog now. Gumps in San Fransisco carries it too. It was usual on our yearly trip to San Francisco that my mom would pick up a piece or two.

As I was growing up this very expensive china was used every Saturday morning. My father would wake up and go to the nearest French bakery to buy morning pastries. My mother would make hot chocolate for us, and we would have quite the feast.

I dreamed of one day owning my mother's china. She promised me that when I got married and bought a china cabinet of my own, she would give it to me. When I did get married at 32, I sold my car and bought an antique china cabinet for $700. She then gave me the Herend china that I had wanted for since I was a little girl. I have to admit that I have been married 10 years and not ever used it. I have little boys, and have not thought that the china would last long if I ever got it out for Saturday morning feasts. But, then I have to ask, is china really worth anything if you don't use it? Perhaps not.

No comments: