Saturday, September 20, 2008

Farm Stand Freshness

There is nothing quite like buying produce from your local farm stand. Where I live they are everywhere during the Summer and in the early Fall. Farm stands are where I pick out the freshest berries to make my jam, pears and peaches to make fruit cocktail, and apples to make applesauce and apple pie filling.

My favorite farm stand item, however, is the ever ripe, red, and sweet tomato! There is nothing better than a sun ripe tomato picked from the vine just that morning! With these tomatoes I make my chili sauce and stewed tomatoes. It is a guarantee when you open that bottle in the dead of Winter, a hint of Summer sunshine fills the air.

My very special place to buy my tomatoes is a "mom & pop" store in the local town. There are always boxes of tomatoes lining the walls on the outside, and even more that grace tables on the inside. At the end of August salt and pepper corn, and large ripe peaches surround the tomatoes.


This Summer a friend made a wonderful & unusual salad that she got from the New York Times. It not only looked beautiful, but the smell permeated every inch of the room. The smell was so intoxicating that I was not quite sure what it was. The lovely flavors consisted of fresh tomatoes, fresh peaches, red onion, and fresh rosemary. The dressing was a squeeze of lemon juice, salt & pepper for taste.


No comments: