Friday, September 19, 2008

Cupcakes ...The Finest of Foods

Who does not love cupcakes? The cupcake phenomenon fascinates me. Why only a few years ago nobody even thought about a cupcake as being such a gourmet treat. Now there are cupcake stores popping up in just about every town; each trying to put their own spin on the "original cupcake".

What makes me smile whenever I hear about a superb cupcake is the thought of my sweet mother baking her brains out every Christmas in the 1980's to put her "special" petite four cupcakes in a booth at the local upscale mall. People lined up every year knowing that she would be there with her miniature cupcakes, tarts, brownies, and pumpkin cake. My sister and I slaved along side her, decorating the small cakes with white royal icing tops, a small pale pink flower, and an even paler mint green leaf.

I had had not thought much about her cupcakes until one night three years ago I was visiting family in Virgina and someone said, "Lets go get a Le CupCake!" We drove for what seemed 20 minutes to a small coffee house in Falls Church, VA. There they were, and only four left! We got them home, and with on bite the memories flooded back to me. The royal incing, the pale colors, the wonderful soft cake. It was heavenly. I had to wait an entire year before I could go back to savor another.

In the meantime, however, I researched my obsession on the Internet. I fell across the supreme cupcake blog, Cupcakes Take the Cake. It is the first blog I ever really read. From there I started seeking out various cupcake shops on trips that I took. I would tell myself I had to eat them in the name of research. Which were the best? Lulu's Cupcakes in Scottsdale, Arizona was pretty good. The box it came in was pink with cupcake holes for each cupcake. They wrapped it with a pink ribbon. I realized that the best cupcake may include the packaging.
So Cupcake in Salt Lake City, UT. was very good as well. I gave them a good rating not for packaging, but for taste, size, and the original artwork on their website. The Cupcakery in Las Vegas, NV. has been my most recent stop. The cupcakes were OK, but the icing is the intrigue here. It is fluffy and light, and some of them have edible sparkly glitter on them. They look fairy-like. The flavors are original too. Lemonberry, "Oh My Gosh, Ganache!", & Coconut Bliss. These pictures are from my Cupcakery adventure. I only ate a bite out of each! ; ) My next conquest is to visit the infamous Sprinkles in L.A., CA., and of course, Magnolia Bakery in New York City, NY! Until then, I am still dreaming of cupcakes!



















1 comment:

kits54 said...

Last May we were in Scottsdale and kept seeing this loooonnnng line of people outside a place called "Sprinkles". We had no idea what it was all about, until I looked it up online. I'll have to try so, cupcake next time I'm in S.L.

P.S. I also love to grow herbs and have an herb garden of sorts. They take little care and us so much in return,