Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Cookie Mania


I use to have my own catering business. When I was a thirteen I wanted to go to the American Culinary Institute in San Fransisco. I would scan my mother's Bon Appetite & Gourmet Magazines over and over again. I watched all of the cooking shows on the PBS channel, & cooked to the greats like Georges Pepin. I'd make Salzburger nockerln, Doblos torte, and Miniature French Tarts. Baking was my favorite. Unfortunately, I never made it to San Fransisco to cook, but I did inherit my mother's antique French tart pans, as well as her many tried and true recipes. We are very lucky in this day and age to have recipes available to us via the Internet & from the plethora of cookbooks by the many famous chef out there. Nothing, however can beat the old Bon Appetite & Gourmet magazines of the 70's & the 80's (I bought many of my favorites from ebay). And most of all, nothing is better than the old school Julia Child shows that aired on PBS. I hope as the holidays are in view that the bakers of the world do justice to the great cookies, cakes, & pies of the cooking world. Try something new, out of the ordinary, something that takes a little time and love. Don't just plop a blob of dough on a cookie sheet, or pour an artificial box cake in a pan. Feel the spirit of the season, and make the magic come alive with your inner gourmet.




No comments: