Friday, July 11, 2008

Strawberry Lemonade

Have you ever had a moment on a hot summer day when you craved lemonade? I don't mean the kind of lemonade that you get out of a machine or in the frozen isle of the grocery store. I am talking about fresh squeezed, juicy, & tart lemons. Well, that was me today. As the temperature climbed, I could not stand it any longer, & I went to the store in search of my lemons.

I grew up with three huge lemon trees. There was never any need to buy a lemon in the store. In fact, we made fun of people who had to buy the tiny lemons at the grocery. The lemons we grew were a special variety called "Ponderosa Lemons". They were the size of grapefruit. We made pitcher after pitcher of lemonade.

Today I thought I would do a little twist on my lemonade. I have had many times in restaurants strawberries, blueberries, cherries, or some sort of other fresh fruity concoction in my lemonade. I also once saw in a Martha Stewart wedding book with various flavors of lemonade served in large glass biscotti jars. It was quite stunning seeing the different colours of beverages in the icy containers. So, I got my Ball "Complete Book of Home Preserving" out. They have an excellent recipe for not only fresh concentrate, but one that you can bottle for future use.

The result? Wonderful!

No comments: